If you are like me, it is difficult to resist that sad puppy face and those imploring eyes as they watch you eat. They always act like they are starving and you really must give them what you are eating or they are just going to drop! Very dramatic but that is the way it feels sometimes.
Human foods are dangerous to animals.
Every year, the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center receives tens of thousands of calls where animal poisoning resulted by the use of human food and household items.
DANGEROUS PET FOOD LIST
BEER - ALCOHOL
GRAPES AND RAISINS
MEDICINE - check with your vet about medicine on the okay list, there are a few. When in doubt, it is best not to give them any medicine.
ACETAMINOPHEN AND IBUPROFEN - extremely toxic and are found in many over-the-counter pain medications.
There are some human foods that are okay for your pet but keep in mind whenever you change your pets diet, it can lead to GI upset and diarrhea. Always check with your vet prior to changing your pet's food or adding any new item.
OKAY HUMAN FOOD
LEAN MEAT - cooked, low in fat, no chicken skin or fat from beef. NO BONES as they splinter. I give mine soup bones from the meat market, they are considered the safest although there is still some slight risk of splintering. Supervise.
VEGETABLES - believe it or not, cucumber is okay and so is zucchini. I don't eat cucumber so don't have to worry about that. I gave the pups carrot sticks to gnaw on when they were teething and it worked very well. Green beans are okay also.
FRUIT - apple slices, orange slices, bananas and watermelon are said to be okay. NO SEEDS.
BAKED POTATOES - make sure they are cooked completely.
BREAD - plain bread.
RICE AND PASTA - I have used rice to calm my pets belly down. It works great. Some people put a little boiled chicken in it. This was recommended to me by a vet.
Always keep your vet's phone number handy, have it on speed dial and just as you would have the Poison Control Center number handy, have the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center number handy as well - 888-426-4435.
If you think your pet has eaten anything they should not have, call for help immediately. If you see your pet consuming anything you think might be toxic, seek help immediately even if they do not exhibit symptoms (see below for symptoms). Better to be safe than sorry.
The most common signs of poisoning include muscle tremors or seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, redness of their skin, ears and eyes, abnormal swelling or bleeding.
"It'll grow back...probably..."
1 day ago